Creative Writing & Communications
Writer. Editor. Web Content Creator.
I look at text and ask, “Is it clear and concise? Does it open a dialogue?”
Seeking permanent full-time employment or freelance work as a writer/editor for print or web content.
- 10+ years of experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook daily.
- Skilled at coordinating and managing multiple projects to completion.
- Demonstrated spelling and grammar proficiency by editing correspondence, copywriting, and manuscripts.
- Served as the primary point of contact for clients and independent project contractors.
- Proven communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Self-starter who works well independently and on teams.
- Adaptable to changing responsibilities and work tasks.
OPS Web Content Editor
Florida Department of State, Division of Administrative Services
September 2016 to Present | Tallahassee, FL
Position moved by management from the Division of Corporations to the Division of Administrative Services once the website content rewrite was completed.
- Manage and assign help desk tickets to Web Support staff; provide customer service over the phone, by email, and with the Revelations help desk ticketing system.
- Demonstrate knowledge of HTML, CSS, ColdFusion, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Visual Studio to update numerous DOS websites as requested with new images, videos, and text.
- Perform key roles as a web designer and content editor, tester, and Umbraco user in implementing and launching the new Sunbiz website, redirecting URLs, and verifying the production site.
- Provide administrative assistant services for the supervisor by scheduling meetings, reserving conference rooms, and editing contract drafts for content flow, spelling, and grammar.
- Present an Umbraco tutorial to a State employees unfamiliar with content management systems.
- Serve as backup for executing the daily server backup tapes.
OPS Web Content Editor
Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations
February 2016 to September 2016 | Tallahassee, FL
- Responsible for “plain language” writing of technical material that establishes effective web content for the Division of Corporation’s official website.
- Develop and implement an editorial strategy for web content that follows a consistent voice, style and format to reflect all Department of State guidelines.
- Serve as the bridge between the Division’s management and the DOS marketing director, communications director and technical staff.
- Write, proofread and edit all web content before posting it in the Umbraco CMS.
- Research, strategize and launch UX improvements to the Division of Corporations’ website; plan and implement website information architecture.
- Use AP style writing standards.
- Manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Paperclipped Memories, LLC
July 2011 to Present | Tallahassee, FL
- Establish client relationships through one-on-one recorded interviews about the client’s life and family history; maintain client confidentiality.
- Write and edit non-fiction stories based on transcribed client interviews.
- Produce color book layouts that include text and multiple photos.
- Design layout and write content for brochures, flyers and banners that stimulate interest and sales leads.
- Create business website using WordPress and U-Design template.
- Write, edit, format and maintain all web content.
- Photograph people, pets, places and mementos for print, website, and social media purposes.
- Promote business using a combination of print, web and social media campaigns.; send e-mail newsletters using MailChimp.
Transaction Sr. Processor
August 2006 to March 2007 | Tallahassee, FL
- Reviewed medical provider applications for data entry accuracy; processed and returned within 72 hours for corrections, as needed.
- Drafted and mailed 20 to 100 correspondence packages a day.
- Maintained and updated both paper and electronic files; filed alphabetically and numerically.
- Worked independently and with a team of 30.
Association of Personal Historians
Online Director, Board of Directors: 2016-Present
- Plan marketing strategy using social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pintrest).
- Consult with content editor on the Association of Personal Historian’s website content (MembersClick CMS) redesign, developing UX techniques and better SEO results.
- Publicize the annual conference and boost attendees’ social media interaction with the Association’s official accounts.
- Work with members to cultivate a better understanding of using social media for business.
Microsoft Office Suite
Adobe Creative Suite
Skill levels determined by considering user knowledge of the program and how frequently it is used.
Florida State University
August 2008 to April 2011
- Earned 56 semester credits toward a Bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing.
Tallahassee Community College
June 2006 to April 2008
- Graduated with an Associate in Arts degree.